I think that Internet has hugely changed the way people communicate. Definitely, internet has brought people to be closer to their friends and families. My older sister tells me that before internet, there was no way to communicate faster with her brothers that were living in England at that time. She had to wait long time to get a letter from them. She thinks that internet has been a huge achievement in terms of communication. Internet made her possible to be in touch with me while I was living in the U. S. She did not have to wait much time to get news from me as she did with her brothers in the past. Also, in many opportunities, my young brother helped her install Skype and get a webcam, so I was able to see their faces and hear their voices over the internet all the time while living abroad. I could to be close to them in the most important days and moments of their lives like birthdays, Christmas, New Year and etc. Furthermore, I was able to get in touch in an cheaper and easily manner with my high school friends. I think that without having internet, this frequent communication would have been impossible. Moreover, social networking sites like Facebook has allowed me connecting with old friends that I did not see for long time after I moved to the United States. Using Facebook, I was able to find and know more about them through online.
On the other hand, I think that in some way internet have made family relationships more impersonal as well. My father thinks different about internet; he complains all the time that I did not call him anymore. To him a written and formal letter has more meaning and works better in a family relationship. Emails do not work for him. When I tell him that I already wrote to him a quickly email, he gets mad with me because he do know not how to use the computer and he does not like to be a dependent person of young people to get in touch with me. I think that for some traditional older people internet may be a problem or headache, especially when they do not know how to use it. When I encourage him to use it with his friends, he says that many of his friends are low income families, and they cannot access to internet to communicate each other because they cannot afford the cost of internet. So, neither emails nor Skype works for my father because he thinks it has made me a cold and distant person with him.

No comments:
Post a Comment